Protection and Understanding Legal Guidance

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » What can I do when the custody agreement isn’t working?

What can I do when the custody agreement isn’t working?

On Behalf of | Dec 1, 2017 | Child Custody

There are many different things that might lead to the current child custody agreement not working any longer. For the parents involved, many of these situations are infuriating because they are all the fault of the other parent.

If you are in the midst of a child custody order issue, you might want to know what you can do. Here are some common questions and the general answers for each one for you to consider:

What can I do if the other parent doesn’t show up for visits?

This is a disheartening situation for the children. There isn’t a way that you can force the other parent to take an interest in the children. Instead, you have to continue to block off the time for the other parent to spend with the children just in case he or she does take the initiative to do that.

What should I do if my child doesn’t want to go?

Unfortunately, you might not have a say in this. If your child doesn’t want to go to visitation with the other parent, you should discuss the possibility of altering the schedule to something the child would be more comfortable with. Still, you can’t keep the child from the other parent if the child doesn’t want to go. Instead, you should work with the child to help him or her understand the situation and the reason for the visits.

Ultimately, you might opt to turn to the court to have the child custody order changed to reflect the new circumstances. This might be a very involved process, but you might find peace in knowing that you are taking action.

Source: The Spruce, “Is it ever okay to refuse visitation?,” Debrina Washington, accessed Dec. 01, 2017

/*A11y fixes*/