When your Tennessee marriage is struggling, it might be difficult to decide what action to take. You might wonder if it is worth it to work towards a resolution to the issues so that your marriage can continue or if you should put an end to it by seeking a divorce. Before making such an important decision, there are some factors you should consider.
The advantages of divorce
While the decision to divorce is difficult and the process itself can seem overwhelming and scary, there are some benefits provided by a divorce. These include:
- Control over your own time and life, with the freedom to focus on the things you want
- Ability to make secure financial plans, if issues with finances were a major problem in your marriage
- Space to provide a more stable emotional situation for your children, if your marriage was a high-conflict one
- Opportunity to seek out a new romantic relationship that is more fulfilling
The disadvantages of divorce
Divorce, however, might not be an option for all couples. There are disadvantages that come with it and these should also be considered before making a final decision. They include:
- Splitting up the family, which can affect the children emotionally
- Struggling financially, as your income might drop while your expenses remain the same
- Losing the support of some friends and family as they choose sides
- Struggling emotionally as you work through a range of feelings including grief, anger, fear and confusion
Take the time to be honest with yourself about your situation and what is to come. Think about the different scenarios for your life and what you want about the future and consider how divorce will affect your life before making a final decision.