Act Now To Protect Your Driving Privileges And Your Record After A DUI Arrest
At The Law Office of Jeffrey Jones, we can go to work for you immediately. We defend your rights, work to suppress evidence and begin building a case to prevent a conviction.
Attorney Jeffrey H. Jones has defended thousands of people who have faced drunk driving charges in the Memphis area or West Tennessee over the past 35 years. As an experienced DUI defense lawyer, Mr. Jones can confidently defend your case in any Tennessee court.
We Take DUI Cases To Trial When Warranted
Other lawyers rarely take DUI defense cases to trial, but we will try the case if it is in our clients’ best interests. We will do whatever it takes to achieve your best possible outcome, protect your driving privileges, keep you out of jail and protect your reputation.
We have successfully defended people who were arrested with two to three times the legal limit of blood alcohol content (BAC). Mr. Jones has successfully suppressed the evidence against our clients for lack of probable cause and other improper law enforcement procedures in numerous cases.
DUI Penalties In Tennessee
Your driver’s license is not immediately suspended upon arrest. However, if you are convicted of DUI, you will lose your license. You may also receive other penalties for a DUI conviction, including the following:
- Mandatory jail time
- Fines that can amount to thousands of dollars
- Community service
- DUI assessment at your expense
- Driver’s license revocation
- Restricted license if no bodily injury or death was involved in your case
- Possible vehicle forfeiture
- Ignition interlock device at your expense
- Alcohol safety and DUI school or victim impact panel
- Rehabilitation program at the judge’s discretion
The severity of each of the penalties listed depends on the number of DUI convictions you have had in the last 10 years and the unique circumstances of your case.
Additional consequences that could result from conviction include:
- Negative impact on future job and education opportunities, since many employers ask applicants to confirm their criminal history and run background checks, which often influences their decision to hire
- Increased auto insurance premiums or policy cancellation (SR-22 insurance premiums), which can cost a driver hundreds of dollars over the months and years of the policy
- Possible loss of professional license (e.g., nurses, doctors, pharmacists, pilots, commercial drivers, lawyers and others), as employers may consider a DUI a potential liability or a blemish to the business’s reputation
- We can defend you in administrative hearings to avoid the risk of losing your professional license in the first place.
- We will work to help you recover your credentials if you have already been penalized professionally.
- A tarnished reputation, which can impact your ability to gain future employment and even impact your overall earning potential
- Loss of rights to buy or possess firearms, as a felony charge prohibits the convicted from buying them
- Travel restrictions outside the U.S., such as Canada
- Inability to rent a vehicle, as renters may consider your DUI a liability toward their vehicles
Implied Consent And Refusing Breathalyzer Tests
Tennessee is a state that has “implied consent” laws, which mean that when a person decides to drive their car, they automatically consent to traffic stops, breathalyzer tests and blood tests. A driver does have the right to refuse these tests, although a first refusal will likely result in license suspension for a year, and a second refusal can result in a suspension of two years. Taking the test and consulting with an attorney may be a better option for most drivers, as they can fight the test results in court.
Seek Strong DUI Defense Now
Jeffrey Jones represents clients in criminal proceedings and Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security seizure hearings. Please call our Bartlett office at 901-410-5751 or toll-free at +1-800-863-2561 to schedule a consultation with us. You may also contact us online.
We are responsive days, nights and on weekends. Let us hear from you and explain how we can help right away.